This post may contain affiliate links to product that help readers learn how to get through tough times. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Wondering how to get through tough times?
With the right perspective, any situation can be handled effectively and with minimal drama. Knowing how to get through hard times is a valuable skill. Learning to direct your thoughts and attention are valuable assets in troubling times.
Maintaining a positive attitude provides the best opportunity to find a solution. If you’re forced to deal with a negative situation, why not do it with confidence and calm?
Learn how to get through tough times & keep a level head when everything is going wrong
- Find a way to learn from the challenge. Challenging times can be excellent learning opportunities. There’s a lesson in there somewhere, but you must look for it. At the very least, ask yourself how you can prevent a similar situation from happening again. Imagine how great life would be if you never repeated the same mistake twice.
- Be accurate. When something goes wrong, we often jump ten steps ahead and foresee the worst possible outcome. Avoid letting your emotions get the best of you. Be objective while analyzing the situation.
- Ask yourself what you can do about it. Then listen to the answers you receive. Stay focused on solutions and avoid dwelling on the problems. Do you think it would be more effective to spend 90% of your time solving the situation or 90% of your time worrying?
- Go for a run. Any form of exercise will do. For me, walking does the trick. Exercise can put that excess physical and mental energy to work. If you’re feeling stressed, some vigorous exercise will help. Most importantly, take care of yourself. Especially during stressful times, it’s important to eat properly and to get enough sleep.
- Maintain a positive attitude. Focus on the positive aspects of your life. One challenging situation doesn’t negate all the good things in life. Make a list of the many things that create a sense of gratitude in your life.
By focusing on the positive, the negative will hold less power over you. The good feelings you generate will increase your ability to overcome the situation.
Challenging Times Are Usually Temporary
- Realize that the situation is temporary. You’ve had many challenging times in your life, but you’ve survived all of them. It’s often surprising how much a situation can change in just a couple of days, weeks, or months. Just hang on and you’ll come out on the other side before you know it.
- Help someone else. Helping others is an effective way to maintain a healthy perspective. There are people all over the world that would gladly trade their best day for your worst. Put your attention on helping someone else. You’ll feel much better and come to the conclusion that things aren’t really that bad.
- Ask for help. There’s no reason to face the world alone. There are many people in your life that would be happy to provide a helping hand. All you have to do is ask. Wouldn’t you help someone if asked?
- Find the advantage. Perhaps there’s a silver lining to your situation. If you look hard enough, the challenging situation might provide a huge advantage. You’re unlikely to find it if you don’t look.
- Visualize a positive outcome. In many respects, you get what you expect. Take a few minutes each day and visualize a highly positive outcome. Expecting the worst can have negative consequences.
Your perspective can make all the difference. A negative outlook can make finding a solution much less likely. Use every tool at your disposal and keep your wits about you.
Remember that the circumstances will eventually pass. Do your part to ensure they pass as quickly and smoothly as possible.
How to Keep a Positive Outlook during Trying Times
It’s comforting to know that you can get through tough times while maintaining a positive outlook throughout.
When you get in better touch with yourself and understand the ups and downs of life, it makes it easier for you to persevere.
When you believe in yourself, you can go farther than you’ve ever imagined. So your first step is to believe that you’re capable of having a positive outlook. Your firm belief in yourself will help banish negative thoughts that try to plague your thinking during trying times.
How to get Through Tough Times – Survive The Ups and Downs of Life
You already know that life is made up of many ups and downs. When things are going great, you almost hope that it lasts forever. When things aren’t going so well, it’s sometimes hard to even imagine life getting better again.
If you’re going through a particularly trying time, it’s important to take time to grieve. No one expects you to bounce back immediately, and perhaps you’ll be a changed person. However, you can, and will, have good times again!
When the time is right, start working towards a better future and you’ll be able to experience more “ups” in life. If you’re open to this, you’ll be well on your way to a positive outlook.
During trying times, you might not believe that you’re capable of moving beyond the situation. This is the time when you need to muster up your strength and take a good look at yourself. Discover your inner strength and rely on it.
How to Use Affirmations To Get Through Hard Times
Affirmations are a great way to stay positive if you open yourself up to them. You can use these short, positive statements to communicate with your unconscious mind.
Write your own affirmations or find a book or website with affirmations that are appropriate for your situation. It’s a great way to remind yourself of your strength and good qualities. Practice every day to get the best results.
Recognizing Your True Self
Both positive and negative events bring you opportunities to get in touch with your true self. Trying times are challenges, and if you’re poised with a positive attitude, you can discover more about yourself and your capabilities.
Difficult times can give you the ability to get in touch with your values. Seek the deeper meaning of it all, and always search for the silver lining. Even the toughest and most depressing situations can be opportunities for learning, as long as you open yourself to see the lesson.
How to Keep Stress Levels Down When Times Get Tough
Nothing can hold you back quite like stress. Unfortunately, stressors are everywhere. Even a small amount can severely impact your ability to perform. That’s why it’s important to learn how to deal with your stress effectively when times get tough. Especially financial stress!
According to a research study from New York University entitled, “Cognitive Emotion Regulation Fails the Stress Test,” even a small amount of stress negatively impacts a person’s ability to keep their emotions in check. Stress, if unchallenged, can build up in the body and mind.
Stress can also impinge on your love life. One study from 1984 found that chronic stress can have an undesirable impact on sex drive in men. In pregnant women, high levels of stress can have a negative effect on child development. It can also cause issues with body weight.
Finally, stress takes a toll on your heart. When you’re stressed, the hormones circulating in your blood can cause your heart to beat faster than necessary, and make your blood vessels constrict. This increases blood pressure, and can exacerbate an existing heart condition.
It Won’t Happen – Probably
One of the biggest contributors to stress is worry. But, look at it this way: most of the things you worry about probably won’t happen.
Decide here and now to stop mulling over things that are out of your control.
Instead, put that energy into visualizing the outcome you’d like to see. Vividly visualizing the positive has repeatedly been shown to lower stress levels.
Besides, worrying doesn’t contribute to the problem-solving process in any way. When has worry ever actually helped you resolve a crisis?
In a stressful situation, you may find yourself asking the question, “What if..?” While that question can get you thinking, the stress-soaked mind isn’t in the position to generate solutions.
Remember that at any given moment, you’re either working on a solution, or you’re spending time worrying.
Deep breathing is a great way to clear your mind and de-stress. To get started, simply designate five minutes out of your day to focus on your breathing.
When your thoughts move away from your breathing – and they will – refocus on each breath. As you gain proficiency, you can increase your sessions from 5 minutes to 10, and then to 15.
Meditation has been shown to reduce stress levels and blood pressure. Although meditation is powerful, there’s an even better way to deal with stress.
Everyday Stressors Add Up
A single neglected weed can take over a garden in a few weeks. Similarly, during hard times life’s small stresses quickly add up. Free yourself of these low-grade stressors by taking stock of them, and then drawing up a plan to deal with them one by one.
As you remove the small stressors from your daily life, you’ll empower yourself to deal with life’s larger issues. You’ll have more energy and feel more optimistic. With optimism comes opportunity, confidence, and clarity on how to get through tough times.
Proactively dealing with stress is like taking off blinders. Suddenly you’ll find new and exciting ways to express yourself.
You’ll form deeper relationships with your family and friends. You’ll also feel more gratitude for everyday things. Gratitude has its own rewards.
A Simple Process For Getting Through Tough times
Get started now by making a list of all the stressors in your life. Once you think you’ve got them all down, step away for a day. Then, then go back to the list to add any you forgot.
Next, go through them one by and write a sentence or two on how you can deal with them. Take action on your ideas. This takes time, but step by step, you’ll feel your stress melting away.
We all face the challenges of adversity on a regular basis. The most successful people are able to deal with adversity with a minimal amount of self-generated mental drama.
Simply stay focused on executing possible solutions, and utilize all of your available resources.
Since knowing how to get through tough times and overcoming adversity is a continual part of life, it’s beneficial to become good at it!