The holidays are a fun and busy season full of extra errands, travel and entertaining, so it’s crucial to know how to stay energized.
If you and your family want to make the most of these special times together, there are plenty of natural and effective ways to keep your energy levels up.
How to Stay Energized During the Holidays: Eat Smart
1. Avoid big meals. Your body has to work harder to digest those huge holiday dinners. Try to eat more slowly and limit your portions.
2. Reach for healthy snacks. Complex carbohydrates will give you energy fast. Protein provides fuel for the longer term. Make a salad of walnuts and winter greens.
3. Eat more fiber. Foods rich in fiber help your body break down carbohydrates at a steadier pace over a longer time. That gives you more stamina. Feast on whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
4. Stay hydrated. Munch on foods that are high in water content like celery sticks and grapefruit. Drink plenty of water too. Your blood will flow more easily, transporting the oxygen and nutrients your cells need.
5. Eat breakfast. You’re bound to feel fatigued unless you refuel in the morning. A healthy breakfast will also make it easier to resist fattening snacks or overeating at later meals.
How to Stay Energized During the Holidays: Sleep Well
1. Take a nap. Brief naps of 20 minutes or less will help you recharge. Just closing your eyes for a few minutes can also be refreshing.
2. Watch out for extra caffeine. Those chocolates and peppermint-flavored coffee drinks may put you over your limit for caffeine. If they’re keeping you up at night, cut back.
3. Drink alcohol in moderation. A cocktail may help you fall asleep faster but it interferes with the quality of your sleep. Try to avoid any alcohol within a few hours of bedtime.
4. Place a curfew on online shopping. You can shop for gifts all night on the Internet but you’ll feel the effects the next day. Turn the computer off a couple of hours before retiring to adjust your mind and body after the mental stimulation and lighted screen.
5. Stick to a regular schedule. Parties and holiday travel may interrupt your daily routines. As much as possible, getting up and going to bed at the same time each day will help you stay in top shape.
More Lifestyle Tips to Stay Energized During The Holidays
1. Exercise every day. A brisk walk or other moderate aerobics will wake you up and pump more oxygen to your brain. Take the stairs at the shopping mall and park farther from the entrance.
2. Clear away clutter. You’ll feel more restful when your surroundings are in good order. Recycle those gift wrappings and tidy up after parties to avoid feeling overwhelmed.
3. Alternate between tasks. Baking hundreds of cookies and wrapping mountains of gifts can be tiring. Switching off between jobs can help some. Even better, recruit family and friends to divide the load.
4. Control & contain stress. Feeling more stress this time of year is natural. To help prevent this, listen to relaxing music, meditate or talk with friends. A positive outlook can make handling extra tasks much easier.
5. Focus on giving. Giving to others is the best part of the holiday season and the most effective way to stay energized. You’ll feel motivated to accomplish more with less effort when you think about making others happy. Share your time and attention with the people you love and do some volunteer work to connect with others in your community.
The 15 tips above give you a clear road map on how to stay energized during the holidays. Follow them close to avoid burnout.
The holiday season can be stressful, overwhelming and demanding, but simple lifestyle changes are usually enough to keep you alert and happy. Watch your diet, get plenty of rest, and manage stress so you’ll be ready to tackle all the demands of the end-of-year holiday season.